Little packets of exotic dried wild mushrooms are readily available in delicatessens and speciality food stores. Any variety will add a rich earthy flavour to this, or any dish.
- 40g dried wild mushrooms, such as porcini, mousserons or a mixture
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500g fresh speciality mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster, or wood ear, sliced
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup reduced beef stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 350g pasta shapes such as penne or sprials
Heat olive oil in a pan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat until soft but not coloured.
Add sliced mushrooms and raise heat. Toss mushrooms to stir-fry. Add rosemary and stock and simmer to reduce by half. Season with salt and pepper too taste.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to packet instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with pasta sauce. Serve immediately.