- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup short grained white rice (sushi rice)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 sheets nori (dry seaweed)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and sliced
- Combine the water and rice in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover,
reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender
and water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the
vinegar and a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.
- Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap to keep the rice from
sticking. Place a sheet of seaweed over the plastic. Use your hands to
spread the rice evenly onto the sheet, leaving about 1/2 inch of
seaweed empty at the bottom. Arrange strips of cucumber and avocado
across the center of the rice. Lift the mat and roll over the
vegetables once and press down. Unroll, then roll again towards the
exposed end of the seaweed sheet to make a long roll. You may moisten
with a little water to help seal. Set aside and continue with remaining
nori sheets, rice and fillings.
- Use a sharp wet knife to slice the rolls into 5 or 6 slices. Serve cut
side up with your favorite sushi condiments.